Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Earning money from my movie is easy for me !

Hello friends! Before reading this post remember one thing I am not a Film Marketing guru. Neither I am persuading you to apply this method. It is just an idea which I am sharing with you because this is the plan which I developed for my film’s marketing and promotion.

When I became the member of www.indietalk.com a senior filmmaker told me a very important thing. And that was when you start planning your movie, straight away start planning the distribution and promotion of your movie too.

Ok coming back towards the topic. As you people know I am a student so definitely I lack the resources to make movie on 35mm, I lack the contacts which are essential for distribution of my movie .I also lack the experience which is important to convince distributors that my movie is going to sell. More over there are many problems in Lolly-Wood too. Problems like limited number of cinema houses, lack of Digital Projection of the movies and many more.

So what to do? Well obviously the first thing I need is a movie, in-fact a good interesting movie. As I have mentioned that Pakistan do not have many cinemas with digital projection, and also considering the budget issue and considering me, being a student cant afford 35mm will obviously go for digital format. After completing my movie my target will not be cinemas. Yes, neither I will target and DVD sales. How can I be so foolish that while living in the world of piracy (Pakistan) I will go for DVD sales? I am going to target colleges and universities. Yes the name of colleges and universities came to my mind last year when my bro participated in 3D animation competition and I was over their to motivate him. The way the event took place it generated an idea why not to invite the universities and target the young generation for my movie? In Pakistan there are few major universities which are teaching Filmmaking (which has started in recent years and the first qualified batch of filmmakers of Pakistan’s Cinema History will pass out in 2011). So I still have chance to make something good and show it to others. No doubt those people might have more potential then me. After all they are all getting formal education. But I believe filmmaking is about natural talent not degrees. Even this is possible that universities might like to show their students the work of a young guy who has not even a diploma in filmmaking (well do remember i have put the condition of an interesting movies with my movie not a simple movie as there are plenty of young filmmakers)
The major part will be to convince the management of Universities. Well of course they will have a share in our earning. The ration can be anything from 50% 50% to 60% 40% or any other figures in total revenue. That will totally depend upon my negotiation and bargaining skills.


To be continued...

7 comments:

Unknown said...

The slight flaw with that theory is that nowadays the institutions also use cut throat politics like the TV Channels. But anyway you do have a very good point if there is an honest soul that will listen to you .But Keep it up and you have my Support. and thanks for sharing your Idea and also supporting your Bro in Animation. Animators need it right now than anything. By the way ever watch any good animes do let me know. Friend.(We are all in the same boat)

Anonymous said...

Surely friend...i will love to post any good animation details..I hope you arent talking about hollywood animated movie.:)


tell me what do you do??? I think you are too interested in medias as you said you are on the same boat too. Am i right?

Unknown said...

no I meant Anime which are Japanese Anime or animations or just short for Japanese Cartoons and not like Pokemon or Digimon Animes. I mean animes like Guyver, Bleach, Tenge Toppa Gurren Laggan, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Devilman etc.

As for what I do, currently I am doing My MMA Masters of Multimedia Arts from NCA Lahore. But professionally speaking I am a CG Animator and Modeller if you are interested in my work you can go to youtube and look up my work on this channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/dangion

Anonymous said...

Well mudassar that great that you are into modeling and animation. My bro also has plan to take admission in NCA filmmaking Dep next year.have heard that the give practical practise etc.

Once i had aplan to make a 30 min animated zombie film and i had a rough story too. Few animators from post amazer also were interested to join the team. and the good thing was that every one was working for free but then the plan postponded due to lack of story board artists and story writer...

i will surely see your work on the mentioned link..

These days i am writing a sitcom...and 1epi has been completed....after finishing the series (10epi total) i will look for a financer... lets see hwat happens.


Regards

Unknown said...

That is nice that your brother will be joining NCA. Although if he is thinking of getting some practical experience out of the NCA you my friend are highly mistaken. It will be far better to go to either China to learn proper Film production Concepts as well as practical experience. But if he has already learned the concepts by himself and he only wants a "Degree" then there is no better place than NCA.
Nowadays its better to be a SUIT than a CHEETAH. right???????

Adeel Akhter said...

Yaar i personally think people dont like NCA film and Tv department that much... by the way what are you doing these days?

Unknown said...

Right now I'm in my final year of Masters from NCA and for me it was a waste of money and effort as I have not learned anything new. I'll be free in 3 months time when I'll start my Thesis work but I'll be fully free after december Insha Allah. But I am still doiing some personal projects why?